Join the Board of Directors
For over 25 years, Helping Link/Một Dấu Nối has helped many Vietnamese integrate into American society through our ESL, computer, and citizenship programs as well as information and referral services. The challenges of moving to a new continent and learning a new culture are immense, at times overwhelming. Helping Link is here to pay forward the help many of us received so that families remain intergenerational, connected, and united. This source of support and knowledge in a safe environment allowed many of Helping Link’s clients to successfully achieve their goals to improve their English skills, become U.S. citizens, and find opportunities to grow and thrive.
We seek caring community members and professionals in search of culturally enriching relationships, passionate about creating space for mutual exchange and engagement. Join Us!
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Be an ambassador for Helping Link/Một Dấu Nối in the community and share its activities in your network, growing relationships between different communities.
- Provide governing direction in collaboration with the Executive Director to steer Helping Link/Một Dấu Nối’s future and oversee its service to the community, responding to social trends and collaborating in local challenges.
- Make Helping Link/Một Dấu Nối a philanthropic priority by participating actively in annual fund development initiatives and events.
- Ensure maintenance of sound financial records, operation within budgetary constraints and compliance with legal and regulatory standards.
- Provide support and leadership to Helping Link/Một Dấu Nối’s daily activities, participating in teams to shape the events and programs that give life to our mission.
Board members are a key element of our success in serving the community as a non-profit. We are very grateful for the passionate members that provide leadership, vision, ambassadorship, and strong philanthropic support to Helping Link.
Benefits of joining the Board:
- Know that you make a real difference in the lives of immigrants and refugees building their new lives in America
- Leadership development opportunities & training
- Opportunities to provide direct service and connect with the Little Saigon community
- Build expertise in board governance & budgeting
- Cultural awareness and education about supporting communities of color, especially the Vietnamese community
- Network and build relationships with a broad spectrum individuals that are connected to Helping Link
- Build and share public speaking skills
Terms and Time Commitments
Members are elected to a 2-year term (renewable for two additional 2-year terms). Monthly time investment: 10-12 hours per month, typically:
- 2 hours to prepare for and attend a Board meeting (10 per year)
- 3 hours for committee work (per committee)
- 2-4 hours for particular tasks, meetings, introductions to community leaders, events and fund development activities, e.g. the annual Board Retreat and recruitment of Annual Gala guests (Hourly commitment varies by month as needed)